If any of you are still wondering why it is I’m still writing about gay rights and equality and homophobia and tolerance – let me share with you an experience I had just last evening.
There was a discussion on Facebook about the Boy Scouts and the fact that they were excluding gays. It all was started by a statement that simply stated that the Boy Scouts had a lot of nerve not allowing gays to join when they have scout masters that sexually abuse their members.
I agreed with that statement, but others did not. I’m just going to copy and paste here so you can see that I’m not making this up.
- D: I would consider a man who rapes a boy a homosexual predator. So that may be their logic ?
- ME: You do know that every homosexual does not rape boys, right? You do know that straight men also rape boys, right? Does the name Jerry Sandusky ring a bell with you?
- D: Straight men rape boys ……….. wow you gotta be a liberal.
- Me: Actually D – I’m simply an American who cares about the facts and the truth. You might want to get your facts straight – unless, of course you don’t care about the facts or the truth. 98% of males who raped boys reported that they were heterosexual. [Sexual Abuse of Boys, Journal of the American Medical Association, December 2, 1998]
- D: Sorry Barb but when one male sticks his penis somewhere in another male he is gay. LOL …LIBS !
- D: Still laughing OMG
I stopped my conversation at this point because well – you just can’t fight stupid.
I’m trying not to judge because I know this person is allowed their opinions and feelings, but I am totally amazed at the ignorance involved here.
I could sit with this person for the rest of my life and show them fact and figures and studies and all the information I could find about this subject and they would never see the truth. They would never see it, because it’s not their truth.
It’s not on their wheel of things to ever believe. This person’s wheel is full of ignorance and homophobia, intolerance and hatred, and sadly, they will pass that wheel of fortune on to their children and grandchildren and the cycle will continue for generations.
And therein lies the problem with racists and homophobes and any of the other ists and phobes that exist in our world today; Ignorance and a lack of wanting to know the facts about something or someone.
Yes, I must be a liberal because I have a brain and common sense and I like to know that what I say is true and not some made-up, fear-mongering babble.
But – I’m not judging… “Still laughing OMG.”