I’ve taken a few days to digest the whole Susan G. Komen for the Cure debacle. I didn’t want to jump into the fray without at least reading all sides of this shameful story.
I can smell politics a mile away, and this story smells of Republican, Evangelical – Anti-abortion poo.
For those of you who agree with the pulling of funds for Planned Parenthood I simply want you to answer any of the following questions:
- Have you ever had to rely on Planned Parenthood for any of your health needs?
- Have you ever visited a Planned Parenthood facility to see what they really do?
- Have you ever spoken with someone who relied on Planned Parenthood for their healthcare needs?
- What do you use for birth control and how would you feel is someone stepped into your life and took that birth control away from you because you weren’t following their specific religious or political view?
- Do you talk with your children about birth control and sexually transmitted diseases? Do you supply condoms?
- How do you feel about cutting off funding for poor women to get breast screenings? You okay with that?
The facts, as they slowly come to light, are not pretty.
It starts with Republican Congressman Cliff Stearns. An anti-abortion Florida Republican, Stearns started an investigation into Planned Parenthood to try to learn if they (Planned Parenthood) have used public money to provide abortions.
The story continues on with Karen Handel. Ms. Handel ran who ran unsuccessfully for Governor of Georgia has been quoted as saying “I am staunchly and unequivocally pro-life. I believe in the sanctity and inherent dignity of human life, and I will be a pro-life governor who will work tirelessly to promote a culture of life in Georgia…. I believe that each and every unborn child has inherent dignity, that every abortion is a tragedy, and that government has a role, along with the faith community, in encouraging women to choose life in even the most difficult of circumstances…. since I am pro-life, I do not support the mission of Planned Parenthood.” [Karen Handel Campaign Blog, 7/15/10]
And knowing all of this – Susan G. Komen for the Cure hired her in April of 2011 as their Senior Vice President of Public Policy.
The story ends with Susan G, Komen for the Cure adopting a new rule that states they can’t give money to a group under investigation by a government body – Congressman Cliff Stearns – so funding is pulled for Planned Parenthood – Karen Handel.
Just so you know – the money given to Planned Parenthood by Susan G. Komen for the Cure was used only on Breast Screenings and education on breast cancer – both parties agree with this.
It’s not a puzzle with missing pieces – Ms. Handel had a mission and Susan G. Komen for the Cure gave her the means to complete her mission with little regard for the innocent folks who simply want the services offered by Planned Parenthood.
Merriam-webster.com defines charity as follows:
It is my opinion that Susan G. Komen for the Cure can no longer call themselves a charity, and I will no longer support an organization that is so blatant in its disdain for the rights of all Americans. It’s shameful – it’s political – it’s poo.